Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onions (I usually use the whole onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. roasted pumpkin or 2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup 100% coconut milk or coconut cream
- Optional: Garnish with large, unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted until edges turn light brown
Heat coconut oil in deep pot over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add vegetable broth, curry powder, salt, coriander, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a gentle boil, about 10 minutes. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Whisk in pumpkin and coconut milk, and simmer another 5 minutes.
Working in batches, pour soup into blender, filling only halfway; process until smooth. If needed, return soup to pot and reheat briefly over medium heat before serving. If desired, top with unsweetened coconut flakes.